What’s the Canadian word for ‘lousy care’?

Discussions générales sans lien au monde automobile

Modérateur : Modérateurs

Répondre
BaDPiSToN
First Lady

What’s the Canadian word for ‘lousy care’?

Message par BaDPiSToN »

Par Jeremy Clarkson

While I was away, there was a big debate about how Barack Obama might sort out America’s healthcare system, which, say the critics, is chronically awful and fantastically unfair.

It’s also bonkers. I was once denied treatment at a Detroit hospital because the receptionist’s computer refused to acknowledge that the United Kingdom existed. Even though I had a wad of cash, and a wallet full of credit cards, she was prepared to let me explode all over her desk because her stupid software only recognised addresses in the United States.

Some say America should follow Canada’s lead, where private care is effectively banned. But having experienced their procedures while on holiday in Quebec, I really don’t think that’s a good idea at all.

A friend’s 13-year-old son tripped while climbing off a speedboat and ripped his leg open. Things started well. The ambulance arrived promptly, the wound was bandaged and off he went in a big, exciting van.

Now, we are all used to a bit of a wait at the hospital. God knows, I’ve spent enough time in accident and emergency at Oxford’s John Radcliffe over the years, sitting with my sobbing children in a room full of people with swords in their eyes and their feet on back to front. But nothing can prepare you for the yawning chasm of time that passes in Canada before the healthcare system actually does any healthcare.

It didn’t seem desperately busy. One woman had lost her face somehow — probably a bear attack — and one kid appeared to have taken rather too much ecstasy, but there were no more than a dozen people in the waiting room. And no one was gouting arterial blood all over the walls.

After a couple of hours, I asked the receptionist how long it might be before a doctor came. In a Wal-Mart, it’s quite quaint to be served by a fat, gum-chewing teenager who claims not to understand what you’re saying, but in a hospital it’s annoying. Resisting the temptation to explain that the Marquis de Montcalm lost and that it’s time to get over it, I went back to the boy’s cubicle, which he was sharing with a young Muslim couple.

A doctor came in and said to them: “You’ve had a miscarriage,” and then turned to go. Understandably, the poor girl was very upset and asked if the doctor was sure.

“Look, we’ve done a scan and there’s nothing in there,” she said, in perhaps the worst example of a bedside manner I’ve ever seen.

“Is anyone coming to look at my son?” asked my friend politely. “Quoi?” said the haughty doctor, who had suddenly forgotten how to speak English. “Je ne comprends pas.” And with that, she was gone.

At midnight, a young man who had been brought up on a diet of American music, American movies and very obviously American food, arrived to say, in French, that the doctors were changing shift and a new one would be along as soon as possible.

By then, it was one in the morning and my legs were becoming weary. This is because the hospital had no chairs for relatives and friends. It’s not a lack of funds, plainly. Because they had enough money to paint a yellow line on the road nine yards from the front door, beyond which you were able to smoke.

And they also had the cash to employ an army of people to slam the door in your face if you poked your head into the inner sanctum to ask how much longer the wait might be. Sixteen hours is apparently the norm. Unless you want a scan. Then it’s 22 months.

At about 1.30am a doctor arrived. Boy, he was a piece of work. He couldn’t have been more rude if I’d been General Wolfe. He removed the bandages like they were the packaging on a disposable razor, looked at the wound, which was horrific, and said to my friend: “Is it cash or credit card?”

This seemed odd in a country with no private care, but it turns out they charge non-Canadians precisely what they would charge the government if the patient were Céline Dion. The bill was C$300 (about £170).

The doctor vanished, but he hadn’t bothered to reapply the boy’s bandages, which meant the little lad was left with nothing to look at except his own thigh bone. An hour later, the painkillers arrived.

What the doctor was doing in between was going to a desk and sitting down. I watched him do it. He would go into a cubicle, be rude, cause the patient a bit of pain and then sit down again on the hospital’s only chair.

Seven hours after the accident, in a country widely touted to be the safest and best in the world, he applied 16 stitches that couldn’t have been less neat if he’d done them on a battlefield, with twigs. And then the anaesthetist arrived to wake the boy up. In French. This didn’t work, so she went away to sit on the doctor’s chair because he was in another cubicle bring rude and causing pain to someone else.

Now, I appreciate that any doctor who ends up working the night shift at a provincial hospital in Nowheresville is unlikely to be at the top of his game, and you can’t judge a country’s healthcare on his piss-poor performance. And nor should all of Canada be judged on Quebec, which is full of idealistic, language-Nazi lunatics.

But I can say this. If private treatment had been allowed, my friend would have paid for it. He would have received better service and in doing so, allowed Dr Useless to get to the woman with no face or ecstasy boy more quickly. Though I suspect he would have used our absence to spend more time sitting down.

The other thing I can say is that Britain’s National Health Service is a monster that we can barely afford. But in all the times I’ve ever used the big, flawed giant, no one has ever pretended to be French, no one has spent more time swiping my credit card than ordering painkillers and there are many chairs.

Je partage l'opinion de mon ami qui dit et je cite:
Seule réserve : Le maudit accent British peut être dûr à comprendre et des fois. Il a bien beau traîter les Québecois de "language-Nazi lunatics", c'est pas tout à fait tort, mais reste que certains (voir tous) British croient que leur Anglais est le plus parfais, le plus compréhensible du monde et démontrent souvent une impression d'être insulté quand on leur demande de répéter. J'défend pas la réaction de la réceptionniste qui a semblé se sauver, j'veux juste nuancer ses propos concernant la langue, alors que les "UK" sont linguistiquement dans leur bulle aussi!

Reste que, ça explique bien notre système de santé.

Pour avoir glandé 13h30 à "l'urgence" ya pas si longtemps, oui c'est clair que notre système est à chier! au moins.. j'avais une chaise! J'ai vu 3 chiffres de secrétaire et d'agent de sécurité. Mon père à passé 7h avec moi et carot l'autre 7h. Sérieusement.. ya de quoi décourager les ptits bobos! Malgré tout yen a qui sont la pratiquement pour rien..

Savoir combien sa coute consulter au privé et savoir que je peux me le permettre c'est claire que je cesserais de courir après les médecins!
bladedshady666 a écrit :dick brake

bladedshady666 a écrit :poche plate

Delowan

Re: What’s the Canadian word for ‘lousy care’?

Message par Delowan »

ya ben du monde qui vont a l'urgence pour des conneries. Combien de fois j'ai vu du monde en parfaite sante, chialer que c'est long etc etc.

Hey si yavais moins de monde avec des rhumes de tapettes a l'urgence ca irais ben plus vite. Le monde profite ben trop du systeme. Moi les hopitaux c'est en dernier recours, sur mon lit de mort. Comme ca, tu passe en 5min devant tous les top shapes.
BaDPiSToN
First Lady

Message par BaDPiSToN »

Non je suis désolé mais dans mes 13h30 d'attente j'en ai vu du monde décalissé.

Je l'étais moi aussi même si de l'extérieur sa paraissait pas mais on a tout de même attendu crissement longtemps.

Mais 2 coucounes qui se sont planté en tombant d'un bateau de wake avait des ptit bleus sur les jambes et on passé aucun scan sont passé avant tout nous autre parce qu'elle arrivait par ambulance...

Faque la prochaine fois j'appelle pas mon père pour venir me chercher! :maudit:

Delowan

Message par Delowan »

Oui mais tu devais surement avoir l'air mal en point.

Moi ceux que j'ai vu en attendant la-bas (hopital st-eustache l'hiver passé), c'étais du monde pettant de santé avec un smile en pleine face.

Yen avais deux qui arrêtaient pas de parler, comme quoi il venais souvent, pis que c'étais toujours long, que tout le monde passais avant eux autres. etc.

Ceux qui ont passé avant eux autres ont été moi, une madame avec le bras cassé, un ptit gars avec la machoire petée. Il y avais une jeune dame qui avais l'air d'avoir super mal au ventre. Jme sentais vraiment mal pour elle.

Ya des priorités dans les urgence. Ma soeur me les a expliqué, pis c'est ambulance ou cas critique en premier, pis le reste suit comme par exemple enfant en bas age etc. Ca marche de 1 à 5.

Mais tsé je dis que j'ai passé devant du monde, j'ai quand même attendu 3h. Mais j'étais dans les premiers.

Si tu va là pour un rhume, attend toi d'attendre un sacré boutte. lol
BaDPiSToN
First Lady

Message par BaDPiSToN »

Il y avait une madame assise a côté de moi au triage.. Ca faisait 10min j'étais arrivé elle me demande si ca fait longtemps que j'attends, je lui dit seulement 10min pour l'instant et elle répond par un soupir et dit je pensais faire un bon coup en venant une journée qu'il fait soleil pensant qu'il y aurait personne.. Et moi de lui réponde... vous avez pas trop l'air malade entk. Elle est partie avant même d'être passé au triage (ce qui a pris 2h30).

Comme si on choisissait quand est ce qu'on feelerais mal! Ah aujourd'hui il fait beau c'est pas une journée pour être malade!! :confused:

KiwiGirL

Message par KiwiGirL »

Normalement quand tu as un rhume ou what ever de pas "urgent" tu vas au CLSC ou dans une clinique sans rendez-vous. (quand tu peux bien sur)

Moi j'ai jamais eu de trouble a l'urgence.... Chaque fois j'y suis aller j'ai passer relativement vite.
Quand j'avais un copeau de metal dans l'oeil ca meme pas pris 30 minutes pis j'etait coucher sur le dos, l'oeil geler pis le medecin a m'enlever le morceau.

Le pire moment a ete quand je me suis peter le genou. Mis a par que j'avais du sang partout pis que je pouvais pu marcher, je me sentais bien. La douleur y'en avait pas (entk quand je bougais pas la jambe) faque je parlais avec L3G10N tout le long a deconner et tout.... si je suis passer vite c'est quand ya une madame qui c assise a coter de moi et qui sentais le !#$^&$*&^* ce qui ma declancher une crise d'asthme. Donc je suis tomber prioritaire.... :tu: ca donc eu du bien au finale .....
Répondre